|HOME > FIGHT BACK > TOOLS FOR BATTLE > STANDARD WEAPONS > BASIC >|
Handle a Bully in Meetings
A bully loves to dominate a meeting.
Most meetings lack a strong, clear-thinking moderator and obvious purpose. A bully exploits this situation to his own advantage, using the many tools of manipulation to advance his ends.
You can fight a bully in a meeting by employing a variety of basic techniques and tools described elsewhere on this web site. In fact, many of the tools, such as paraphrasing and the use of humor, are far more powerful in group meetings.
This page provides some additional tools specifically for use at meetings.
For more power against a bully,
speak late in the meeting
- Keep silent (or ask brief questions) and be a good listener until late in the meeting
- Make sure you talk after the bully has spoken extensively
- Since you've been silent, everyone will be curious and tend to pay attention
- Also, someone may ask your opinion
- Say that you have some opinions on the issue, but first you need to correct some of the bully's misstatements
|Don't let a bully interrupt you|
- Since you've been a good listener, you have leverage to insist he listen
- If you're interrupted, interrupt back and respond forcefully:
Don't let a bully leave the meeting
while you're speaking
- Use the same types of comments as if he interrupted you
- If the bully leaves the meeting anyway, comment on his inappropriate behavior:
CONTINUE TO NEXT PAGE